In this assessment, you will explore the nurse’s role in disaster planning, preparedness, response, and recovery. You will develop a teaching tool to be used in the community that teaches community members how to be prepared for a variety of disasters common to your state.
Part 1: Disaster Response
Public health officials can play a huge part in disaster planning and emergency preparedness.
Analyze disaster response and emergency preparedness:
- Identify nursing roles and responsibilities during each phase of disaster management. Consider:
Summarize your findings for submission.
Evaluate your community or state’s plan for preparedness and disaster management. Summarize your findings.
Create a teaching tool for your family or the community. Include the following:
- How to plan an emergency kit, or “go bag”
- How to do regular drills of your evacuation plan
- How you will communicate with each other in the family
- How to respond to natural disasters such as a fire, flood, or earthquake
- How to respond in a mass casualty situation such as a major car accident or active shooter incident
Include at least 1 peer-reviewed and 2 evidence-based references and an APA-formatted reference page.
Format your assignment as a 1-page handout or brochure.
Part 2: Disaster Planning, Preparedness, and Response
Research disaster planning, preparedness, and response in Skokie, IL.
Develop 10 interview questions for use with first responders about local community disaster planning, preparedness, and response to use in community interviews. Include questions about how responders work with the community.
Pretend you are interviewing workers and leaders at Skokie IL, in person or online from:
- Local fire station
- Local emergency room
- Local police station
- Local first responders (fire/ambulance)
Write a 500-word summary detailing the results of your survey that describes your community’s disaster preparedness.