Which ethical principles are most relevant for you in this situation (deontology, utilitarianism, fairness)? Why? What are the individual-level and community-level effects of unethical behavior (however you define it)?
- Define a set of ethically-questionable behaviors. Define a set of potential consequences for unethical behavior.
- What are other students’ views on these behaviors? Their views on punishment?
Once you’ve thought through these questions, develop your code of ethics. It should include:
- A mission statement/motto.
- Think: How should the school portray itself to the University and the public?
- Specific guidelines.
- Think: What is covered? Which behaviors are to be encouraged or discouraged?
- Think: What are the consequences for failure to uphold the code of ethics?