Complete the following:
- In your Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions text, review:
- Chapter 1, “Introduction to Professional Ethics,” pages 2–41. Take the ethical self-assessment, which begins on page 28. This self-assessment is the basis of one of the discussions in this unit.
- Chapter 4, “Multicultural Perspectives and Diversity Issues,” pages 112–155. Take the multicultural self-inventory at the beginning of this chapter. This questionnaire will also be important for one of the discussions in this unit.
- Note: While you have already used this text in your ethics course, a significant amount of time may have passed since you completed that course. Have these concepts fresh in your mind for your work in this unit and for your assignment that is due in Unit 3.
- In your An Introduction to Human Services text, read:
- Chapter 6, “The Human Service Professional,” pages 168–198. This chapter includes a discussion of the values that support the field of human services, which is the focus of a discussion question in this unit.
Discussion Question 1
Human Services Values
Reflect on the human services values described in this unit’s reading in An Introduction to Human Services, addressing the following:
- Which human services value is the most difficult for you to practice? Include an example of a situation that encompasses that value and why it would be difficult for you to use it.
- Which human services value is the most important to you and why?
- How might your understanding of the values that guide practice help you determine your future professional development needs?
In this unit’s studies, you took several self-assessment inventories presented in readings from Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions in order to provide you with a profile of your strengths and weaknesses.
Provide a summary of the self-assessment inventories you completed and answer the following:
- What most surprised you?
- From the client’s perspective, how might your weaknesses interfere with the helping process?
- How will what you learned determine your future professional development needs?